The Shape of Grief

Personal Blog Nosh Magazine {Originally posted on Schmutzie.com}

Over one year later, I am still discovering the shape of my grief over the loss of my uterus.

I miss a thing I could never see. I have no documentation of its existence. It does not show up in family photo albums. My clothing fits as it did before the surgery. I never touched it with my hands. I cannot trace its outlines in pictures or where it is no longer on my body.

The only evidence that it was ever here is a pregnancy test that I keep pushing to the back of the bathroom cupboard behind the cleaning supplies.

I do not like that it was cut up into tiny pieces and vacuumed out of me. I do not like that it became medical waste. No part of any body should be made into medical waste. Our bodies hold far too much power, far too much meaning, to be so degraded.

I am angry that I could not take it with me, that I could not find my own place to put to it to rest. I hate not knowing where its pieces are. I imagine it having its own sapling beneath which it could rest and feed its growth. I need to imagine it being less alone.

The shape of this grief is little more than a chronological line between two points, from there to here. It has yet find its flesh.

Editor’s pick by Amy of Doobleh-vay. Schmutzie is one of my daily reads. I love her writing and I found her blog last Spring when she had discovered she had cervical cancer. I have been happy to read along with her as she recovered and I was blessed to meet her at BlogHer this summer. She has been so open about her fight and her gift is her writing as she can make you laugh and cry and shake yr head as easily as she steals yr heart.

Read this post about her life list goals and see what I mean about her.

She is just special. Check out her beautiful blog today!

12 Comments to “The Shape of Grief”

1. schmutzie says:

Thanks for the shout out!

2. Dr. Karen Rayne says:

Thank you for sharing, Schmutzie.

• Marius

Thanks for your information on this blog. A uhnttacaed gadget I desire to say is purchasing consumer electronics items from the Internet is nothing in mint condition. Popular truth, in the historical 10 time alone, the market in support of online consumer electronics has grown noticeably. At present, you can stumble on just about several typography of electronic system and devices on the Internet, which include cameras as thriving as camcorders to computer parts and betting consoles.

3. Angella says:

Wow, Schmutzie. This is powerful. Thank you for sharing your grief.

Angellas last blog post..On Adultery

4. Amanda says:

This was exquisite and done in just exactly the words it took, spare yet robust.

Amandas last blog post..I wonder…

5. Mr Lady

Oh, Schmutzie. You will never cease to amaze me. I’m totally going to be you when I grow up.

Mr Ladys last blog post..Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Judged

6. Nikki says:

I’m moved. I wanna be you when I grow up, too.

7. loraleechoate says:

This would be part of the reason why I freaked, squeed and jumped up and down when I met Schmutzie. She’s amazing.

8. Schmutzie, I will never know how you write so much with so few words. Amazing.

Missives From Suburbias last blog post..Spit and Determination

• David

I have been exploring for a lttile for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this web site. Reading this info So i am glad to convey that I’ve a very excellent uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I so much indisputably will make sure to dona1a6t fail to remember this web site and provides it a look on a constant basis.

9. I love Schmutzie, and this post was amazing. Excellent pick.

maggie, dammits last blog post..Love Letter

10. Dare

Thanks for giving your ideas. I might also like to meiontn that video games have been ever before evolving. Modern tools and enhancements have made it simpler to create reasonable and enjoyable games. These entertainment video games were not that sensible when the actual concept was being tried out. Just like other kinds of technologies, video games also have had to grow through many many years. This itself is testimony for the fast growth and development of video games.